Friday, October 28, 2011

Mom's Apple Cider

Every time that I make this cider, I am reminded of my mama.  This is her cider and the one that I grew up sipping.  I love when I walk into her house and can smell the warmth of the spices; it is a familiar smell during this time of year.  I now make her cider for my family and with each sip taken; I hope that I am passing on to my little ones a little bit of my mom and her warmth.



Mom's Apple Cider

1 quart of water
1/2 cup Williams-Sonoma mulling spices
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 1/4 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
4 cups orange juice (fresh or from a concentrate)
1/2 gallon unfiltered apple juice (I buy mine at Allred's Orchard, but Simply Apple juice works too)

In a large pot, bring 1 quart of water and mulling spices to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.  Add sugars to water and mulling spices and simmer 30 minutes to an hour.  Place a fine strainer over a large pot and pour the water sugar mixture through the strainer into the pot, discard the mulling spices.  Add the lemon juice, orange juice, and apple juice to the pot and stir to combine.  Heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment