Friday, February 3, 2012

My Version of a Homemade Oreo Cookie

These are evil little things and by evil I mean, addicting, very addicting.  I made them for a friend's birthday along with my favorite chocolate chip cookies and after a dinner out with friends, I had one of each cookie.  After the birthday dinner, I came home and had two more Oreos, why did I need to do that?  If you take the Oreos apart, I ate 7 cookies and a good amount of cream cheese frosting and despite being completely stuffed; I had to stop myself from taking a bite of another one!  Yikes!


My Version of a Homemade Oreo Cookie


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla bean paste

In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer.  Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at time and beat until smooth.  Beat in vanilla and salt.

To assemble the Oreo cookies, fill a large Ziploc baggie with the cream cheese frosting.  Cut a small piece of the corner off the Ziploc bag (it’s better to start really small and if not enough frosting is coming out, cut off a little more).  You could also use a pastry bag, but a Ziploc bag works great for me. 

Take one cookie and pipe the frosting onto the cookie starting on the outer rim of the cookie, working toward the center.  Place another cookie on top and gently squeeze together.

*If I can be patient, I like to put the cookies in the fridge after they been sandwiched together.  This lets the cream cheese frosting firm up a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment