Monday, August 27, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

My cute neighbor brought my little family a plate of zucchini brownies on Sunday and they were gone in a flash. She was kind enough to give me the recipe and today I made them, but turned them into muffins and tinkered (I think I used that word because Stella watched a Tinker Bell movie this afternoon) around with the recipe a bit. They were a hit and we all ate seconds and maybe thirds.
 

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 egg
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups peeled and grated (fine) zucchini
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Dark brown sugar
Unsweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine coconut oil, egg, vanilla, and sugar and mix well. Add grated zucchini to the oil sugar mixture and mix until combined.

In a medium bowl whisk together both flours, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Add to zucchini mixture and stir until just combined.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Top each muffin with semi-sweet chocolate chips, a good sprinkle of dark brown sugar and a light dusting of unsweetened shredded coconut (no exact measurements, maybe a tablespoon each of chocolate chips and brown sugar). Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin (or take one out right away and eat it hot like I did).  Eat while warm.

*The original recipe added the chocolate chips to the batter (1 cup), but I forgot and so I put them on top of the muffin. Next time I will do both for extra chocolaty goodness!

*Update 7/26/15:  I added 2 cups of chocolate chips to the batter and didn't sprinkle any on top.  I love the melty chocolate throughout the muffin when you eat them warm.  Heaven!

Recipe adapted from Melody Hillam's Zucchini Brownie recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment