Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Roasted Peaches with Glazed Sesame Oats

After my kiddies have gone to bed and I have a few moments (literally moments) before I feel the sandman getting near I love to sit on our couch and read through one of my cookbooks or pull out a stack of printed recipes to browse through.  I always keep a pen and paper near and a stack of post-it tabs to mark the recipes that make my mouth water. 

I've read through these cookbooks and stacks of recipes too many times to count (adding new ones here and there), but it seems there is always a handful that jump out at me depending on the season, time of year, and what meal I will be eating next.

Last Wednesday night I sat on my couch looking through the pages of Tara O' Brady's stunning cookbook Seven Spoons (again) when a recipe for her roasted peaches caught my eye.  In that moment I knew what I wanted to eat for breakfast the next morning.  (My decision was made easy because I currently have a large box of peaches that is occupying a good portion of my fridge and we've been eating peaches for breakfast, lunch and dinner.) 

So while my chocolate chip cookie was warming in the oven (I have a serious weakness for a night time treat) I quickly made the glazed sesame oats for the morning.

That night as I lay in my bed I felt twinges of excitement and tightness thinking about a bowl of cold yogurt, a warm spiced peach, and a scatter of glazed sesame oats.  Sweet dreams.


Roasted Peaches with Glazed Sesame Oats

Glazed Sesame Oats

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup mild olive oil or melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
2 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sesame seeds (I used a mixture of black and white)

Roasted Peaches

4 firm but ripe peaches, halved and pitted
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Seeds scraped from a vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
Pinch of salt

Serving Options

Yogurt, greek or regular, plain or vanilla (I use this one), or fresh ricotta

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

To make the sesame oats, in a large bowl, stir together the maple syrup, brown sugar, olive oil, water, and salt.  Fold the oats, almonds, and sesame seeds into the syrup mixture until coated.  Pour oat mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread in an even layer.  Bake until the oats are golden and lightly toasted, 15 to 20 minutes, turning the pan once, and stirring occasionally to ensure even toasting of the oats.  Cool on baking sheet for at least 20 minutes before serving.  Once the oat mixture is cool, transfer to an airtight container.

To make the peaches, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  Arrange the peaches on the pan, cut side up, with spaces between each.  If the peaches are too cozy they will steam, not roast.

In a small bowl, mix together the maple syrup, five-spice powder, vanilla bean seeds, and a pinch of salt.  Brush the peaches with about half the mixture-let some collect in the hollow left by the pit, but don't drown the flesh.  Place pan in the hot oven.  Bake the peaches until they look soft, juicy, and singed at the skin, 20 to 25 minutes.  Remove the fruit from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving with yogurt, a handful of sesame oats, and a spoonful of spiced maple syrup. 

(The next day I ate a leftover cold peach with yogurt and oats and it was still delicious.)

Recipe from the beautiful and mouthwatering cookbook Seven Spoons

No comments:

Post a Comment