Friday, September 25, 2015

Jars and Roasted Pasilla Pepper and Goat Cheese Sauce

I LOVE glass jars.  We drink and eat from them and they fill our refrigerator shelves.  

On any regular day you can find jars filled with yogurt, hot fudge, jams, toasted walnut sesame butter (because it's my very favorite smeared on toast with bananas, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a sprinkle of Maldon salt), caramel sauces (usually a couple different kinds), pickled jalapenos and peppers, mustard bbq sauce (because it's perfect on a hot dog), chocolate syrup (for chocolate milk with ice of course), and currently there are two jars (soon to be one) of the crazy delicious, I'm addicted to, sauce from The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon cookbook. 

Her roasted pasilla and goat cheese sauce is lick the spoon amazing!  I first need to tell you that I struggle a bit when it comes to stronger cheeses and as much as I want to and try (I really, really try) to like them, I have a hard time getting my palate (and nose) to agree with them. 

I was a little hesitant to try this recipe because of the goat cheese, but I went for it and now there's no turning back.  It far exceeded my expectations and I should have known to trust Sara because her recipes never fail me and always leave my mouth and belly feeling very happy. So hip hip hooray for jars of roasted pasilla pepper and goat cheese sauce!
 
(The sauce is tucked under the avocado and makes these eggs over the top good!)
 
 
Roasted Pasilla Pepper and Goat Cheese Sauce
1/2 small red onion, peeled
2 pasilla peppers (see note)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
4 ounce soft goat cheese
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.

Preheat the broiler.  Rub the peppers and onion with drizzle of olive oil.  Place them on a baking sheet and broil them for 12 to 15 minutes until charred and collapsed.  Let cool, then rub off the skin off the peppers and remove the stems and seeds.

In a food processor, combine the onion and pasillas, the remaining olive oil, the pepitas, goat cheese, honey, chili powder, cayenne, lemon juice, and vinegar and process until combined.  Add the water, cilantro, salt, and pepper, and pulse again.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Place sauce in a jar and store in the refrigerator. 

*Grocery stores often mark a poblano pepper as a pasilla pepper so technically I'm not sure which one I used.

*If you prefer a looser sauce, add 2 additional tablespoons of water.

*For my eggs, I scramble three eggs over medium heat with a little salt.  When the eggs are half way cooked, I add one torn up corn tortilla to the pan and scramble it with the eggs until the eggs are steaming and just set.  Slide the eggs on to a plate and top with sauce, sliced avocado, crumbled goat or queso fresco cheese, and cilantro.  Simple and perfect.

Recipe ever so barely adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon

No comments:

Post a Comment